______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Sunday, November 18, 2012

Love Is The Answer


by Arthelo Palma

1 Samuel 24

Love Is The Answer

Here is another point I see why Jesus would want us to love our enemies.

Literally, Saul was not David’s enemy. But for king Saul, David was his rival as he considered him a threat to his influence over the people in Israel. So if we look at it, these two people have a significant gap between their relationships. In reality, and in the same circumstance, we do not have good working relationships with our enemies.

There was a moment when God delivered Saul to the hands of David. But David, full of God’s Spirit, impressively uttered these words to Saul:

“I will not lift my hand against my master, because he is the Lord’s anointed. See, my father, look at this piece of your robe in my hand! I cut off the corner of your robe but did not kill you. Now understand and recognize that I am not guilty of wrongdoing or rebellion. I have not wronged you, but you are hunting me down to take my life. May the Lord judge between you and me. And may the Lord avenge the wrongs you have done to me, but my hand will not touch you. As the old saying goes, ‘From evildoers come evil deeds,’ so my hand will not touch you. Against whom has the king of Israel come out? Whom are you pursuing? A dead dog? A flea? May the Lord be our judge and decide between us. May he consider my cause and uphold it; may he vindicate me by delivering me from your hand” (verses 10 - 15).

Hearing all those words, Saul wept aloud saying, “You are more righteous than I. You have treated me well, but I have treated you badly. You have just now told me of the good you did to me; the Lord delivered me into your hands, but you did not kill me. When a man finds his enemy, does he let him get away unharmed? May the Lord reward you well for the way you treated me today. I know that you will surely be king and that the kingdom of Israel will be established in your hands. Now swear to me by the Lord that you will not cut off my descendants or wipe out my name from my father’s family” (verses 16-21).

God’s message:

Showing love to our enemies could silence their hearts, and put off the fire of hatred in them. Believe it. It's the principle Jesus Christ would want us to understand, but sad to say only few have quite understood.

God’s promise:

Showing love could restore conflicts and broken relationships, for God would want to restore each life.

God’s command:

Love our neighbors as ourselves. We do not want to hurt ourselves, so God expects us to do the same with our brothers and sisters.

God’s warning:

Unrighteousness results to a life full of hatred. But a life full of love learns to appreciate the value of restoration.

Applications:

Make it always a lifestyle to always aim for making good relationship with others, by showing love and kindness to them.  

Prayer:

Father in Heaven, Creator of Heaven and Earth, praises to Your Name. Thank you for this another wonderful day you are allowing for us to experience once again. Today, do not harden our hearts as we heard your word. Give us all the humility we need in order for us to learn more about your great love that you want us to share with other people. Knowing your love will always erase away all the pride we might have stored in our hearts, that is why it is hard for us to understand You in our lives. Help us Father to walk with You always, so that we can always release forgiveness and wide understanding to all people around us. Thank you very much! This we ask and pray, in the name of Christ Jesus. Amen!

photo credit: Lel4nd via Flickr cc MORE DEVOTIONAL ARTICLES HERE>>
Post a Comment
Related Posts with Thumbnails
_________________________________________________________________________________
LIKE WHAT YOU READ? Subscribe To Email for the latest articles on this blog right to your Email.
___________________________________
Your Prayer Request HERE
___________________________________
(Disclaimer: As source of funding for the maintenance of this blog, donations are regarded with highest appreciation. Thank you!)
__________________________________________
  • Facebook

    Follow 'MY IDEAS FOR LIFE' on Facebook to join the list of followers

  • RSS Feeds

    RSS Feed

    Subscribe To RSS Feed

  • RSS E-Mail Delivery

    E-Mail Delivery

    Subscribe To Email for the latest articles on this blog right to your email

  • Follow   'MY IDEAS FOR LIFE' On Twitter

    Twitter

    Follow 'MY IDEAS FOR LIFE' on Twitter to join the list of followers